When accidents occur, knowing how to be selective and diligent in your search for a personal injury lawyer is helpful. Following some of the steps below can help you find an excellent attorney:
- Ask your friends. A recommendation from a friend or family member is the best way to find an attorney, so ask around and you may get lucky. If nobody you know can recommend an attorney, try contacting former clients of the prospective law firm to see how their experience was.
- Read blogs. Not all lawyers and law firms keep a blog, but the ones that do are able to articulate their ideas, beliefs, and experiences in greater depth than they can on their website. Blogs also provide the opportunity to ask questions and open up lines of communication.
- Research the lawyer’s experience. Some lawyers dabble in various fields of law. Make sure you find one who concentrates in personal injury law. Be sure to check the attorneys’ website for information about his or her experience.
- Meet for a consultation. Don’t just decide on a personal injury attorney based on the information you find on the web. Meet with them one-on-one first and ask questions. You need to be comfortable with your lawyer, so meeting in person is important.
- Be aware of the price. Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis so they only get paid if the claim is successful. Discuss the fees before you hire an attorney.
These five simple steps can make a huge difference when it comes to finding the right personal injury attorney — and a good lawyer can make the difference between winning or losing your claim. I am often amazed to hear that some lawyers will ask the client to pay the costs as they are incurred; there is no ethical requirement for this and it is not my practice. I will advance the expenses as it is often beyond the client’s means and would be yet another burden for an already injured client to shoulder.