Whether commuting to work, taking the kids to school, or traveling across the country, Americans spend a lot of time in cars. Unfortunately, so much time on the road increases the chances of a car accident. Here are some of the most common ways accidents occur:
- Multitasking. With so much going on in the modern world, people feel like they have to do a million things at once. Eating and drinking while driving, talking to a passenger, or just not giving the road your full attention can lead to accidents.
- Cell phones. Calling and texting while driving is dangerous, and every year it leads to more and more injuries and deaths. Buy a headset or wait until you’re off the road to pick up your phone. All reputable studies show an adverse effect on a driver’s concentration.
- The rules of the road. Traffic signs and signals are there for a reason. When you speed, blow past stop signs, run red lights, or disregard these laws in any way, you endanger not only your own life, but the lives of other drivers on the road.
- Equipment failure. It is your responsibility to make sure your car is safe for the road. Always get it inspected in accordance with state laws and take it to the shop if something is broken.
- Driving under the influence. It is never a good idea to drink and drive. Every year thousands of people are injured and killed because drivers get behind the wheel after drinking.
Contact an experienced personal injury attorney today to discuss your personal injury claim.